Tuesday, January 20, 2015

A Lenten Practice of Rootedness and Creativity

You are invited to join me in a Lenten

challenge. journey. practice. adventure

of

Creativity & Rootedness

=   #withinonemile




My name is Helms Jarrell.  I am a part of a Christian intentional community of hospitality and solidarity in Charlotte, NC called QC Family Tree.  QC Family Tree's core identity statement proclaims that we are "kinfolk rooted in discipleship in West Charlotte."  To be rooted is to be grounded, to be stable, to be firmly planted.  It is also to have a sense of place.  The #withinonemile lenten practice is my attempt to strengthen my sense of place.  It is a way for me to be more fully invested (time, money, creativity..) in my neighborhood.  

For several years, I made a pledge that I would only shop for myself (clothes, mostly) within walking distance of my house.  This practice was restorative.  It gave me a sense of purpose and a sense of connection with my surroundings.  I felt like I was living more simply and with more integrity.  Lately, I've noticed a lax in my practice.  I have a different job than I did when I used to shop within walking distance.  The new job takes me out of the neighborhood and it also pays me a higher rate than I once had.  All of a sudden, I blinked and found myself- without really ever thinking about it- at such luxurious places as coffee shops across town, big box stores to run quick errands, grab and go restaurants to get a bite quickly and head off to my next meeting.  My hope is that this Lenten Practice will help me to re-simplify and re-integrate into my neighborhood's economy. 

We, at the QC Family Tree, believe that the people and places surrounding the Enderly Park neighborhood are the good soil in which we desire to be planted.  Because the soil where we are planted bears the wounds of racial oppression, we will always be working against the legacy of racism. My hope is that by sharing my observations throughout the within-one-mile Lenten practice will reveal to others the rich goodness and the hard struggles of the place I call home and the people I call family.

I am a communitarian.  My extrovert tendencies outweigh my introvert ones and I like journeying with others.  I believe that the way we learn to nurture and nourish our relationship with God and neighbor is through the intentional practices of Christian Spiritual Disciplines in community with others.  For that reason, I am asking others to join me in the adventure.  My hope is that our collective experience will tell a beautiful wonderful story of grace and truth.

Choose to join the #withinonemile Lenten Discipline with me. Here's how:


Make the pledge:  "I hereby pledge, From February 18 - April 5 to buy all food, clothing, toiletries, and entertainment within one mile of _________________________."  (Fill in the blank with your chosen location such as:  my home, my work, or my church."

Record your observations:  Through pictures, words, and updates, record your experience.  Post these observations onto social media using the hashtag #withinonemile .

Ponder. Reflect. Think:  Use the weekly reflection guide, provided on this blog and via the facebook group, for extra direction, challenge, and encouragement.

Encourage others:  Take the time to send encouragement to the others who are practicing alongside you.  You can do this by joining the #withinonemile facebook group and posting encouraging words.

What about 1.2 miles?  What about the medications I take?  What about...?

You be the judge.  There may be some exceptions to the rule.  This isn't about how difficult you can make your life.  It is about regaining a sense of place.  When you venture out of your mile radius, write about it.  Record your observations.  Remain reflective and mindful.






No comments:

Post a Comment